I am no makeup guru, so you won’t see elaborate makeup tutorials on this blog. But I have fallen in love with a solid makeup routine that, for the most part, I’ve been using for nearly a decade. It wasn’t until late high school did I find out what worked for me. I tried liquid foundation, compressed powder foundation, all types of blushes and bronzers and I never fell in love with anything enough to use it everyday. Then, I discovered Bare Minerals’ powder foundation and blush and fell in love. I could get a good amount of coverage and my skin still felt like it could breathe.
If you’re like me, you need a simple and lightweight routine that is easily achievable on a daily basis. I’m excited to show you the products I love and use almost every day and to walk through my routine.
I pulled these items straight out of my vanity drawer, dirty brushes and all (so don’t judge!).
Before you start any makeup routine, I strongly recommend prepping your face by using a washing, toning, and moisturizing routine. I use Clinique’s 3-Step program, which I fell in love with over a year ago. I’ll link that at the top of the post but I’ll save the routine for another time.
Let’s get started!
- After your face is moisturized, apply Bare Minerals’ Well-Rested Eye Brightener with their Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush. This acts as a bright concealer for those dark circles under my eyes. I don’t use this everyday – just on days I feel especially tired and am going somewhere I need appear as a functioning human. This stuff is magic because it’s BRIGHT and you can add as much as you want and it doesn’t cake during the day.
- Using a foundation brush (my set were a random find at Ross), apply Bare Minerals loose powder foundation. It has SPF 15, so it will protect your skin from those harmful rays during your day. I’ll usually dip my foundation brush into the powder, dust off the excess into the cap of the foundation and then apply it to my face. That way, I’m not caking on more makeup than I need. I’ll use the rest of what fell into the cap to cover all of my face. I run my brush over my face in a circular motion for even coverage.
- Next up, you’ll apply your blush. Here, I have a natural color which is Bare Minerals’ Hint, which I use first as an all over blush. Apply it from the apple of your cheek to the edges of your hairline. Then, apply a second color to just the apples of your cheeks. I use a coral toned blush like Bare Minerals’ Laughter. I’ve also linked two blushes that I’m getting next.
- Here comes my favorite product. Supergoop’s 100% Mineral Invincible Setting Powder SPF 45. This was a random find at Nordstrom that I am forever grateful for. If you know me, I am not one to give into sales reps’ pitches. I went in looking for an SPF option from Clinique that I could apply before my makeup and ended up with a product I use every. single. day. You simply twist the brush base to fan out, tap it with the bristles facing down to distribute the powder, and brush over your face and neck. Voilà! It truly works as a setting powder too. Once the powder settles (it takes 2 seconds), my whole face looks smoother.
- If you’re feeling it, grab Sonia Kashuk’s Instant Smoke Stick and apply the shadow end to your lids. Before it settles, I like to smudge it with my finger to smooth out the edges a little. Then, apply the liner end to the edge of your lids. I love traveling with this item because it’s easy to apply and saves room in my bag. No more brushes or multiple compacts for eyeshadow. Again, this isn’t a product I wear everyday. But it’s perfect for date nights or when I feel like wearing a full face of makeup.
- Grab L’Oreal’s Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara. This is the best drugstore mascara I’ve found yet. It’s so close to the cult favorite Better Than Sex mascara by Too Faced and a fraction of the price. Apply it starting at the roots of your lashes fanning out to the edges, using a side to side motion to avoid clumps. I do NOT like using lash curlers — they just freak me out. So, if I ever need the extra boost in my lashes, I’ll actually take my hair dryer, turn it on, face it toward the ceiling under my lashes and use the burst of air to push them up. It looks hilarious as I’m getting ready but TRY IT and you’ll see.
- Finally, apply Maybelline’s Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color in Touch Of Spice to your lips and you’re done!
That’s it! Super easy, super casual, and reliable to wear on a daily basis. If you end up trying any of these products, let me know what you think of them! Are there any products you can’t live without? Leave a comment below!
Shop these products below!